Browsing for something else on ebay, I came across a bee-suit with a ridicuously low starting price. I don’t really NEED another bee suit as most of mine are more or less serviceable, but they are rather grubby and repairs to the veils may not be absolutely bee tight, so I bid a fiver. I was soon raised by a quid to £6 so I ducked out, but put an alarm on my portable telephone to alert me 15 minutes before the auction ended. The price had, by then, risen to £35 so I added another £ and won! A similar product from a better-known bee-suit maker would have cost about three times as much.
I had to contact the vendor, Vanessa, of www.buzzbeekeepingsupplies.co.uk to tell her which size I wanted. I don’t seem to fit any of the standard categories so, having applied a tape measure I emailed her: belly button to ground; belly button to Adam’s apple; outstretched wrist to sternum, chest and belly (was waist). She decided I am ‘large’ and sent that size.
It arrived about 36 hours after the auction ended and, having tried it on, I find that I am, indeed, ‘Large’! It has a detachable (and potentially replaceable) hood of the ‘fencer’ type, zips at the bottom of the legs and, a feature I haven’t seen before, stirrups to prevent the legs working up above sock level. It seems to be designed for right-handers as the 2 patch pockets are on the left, while the slimline hive-tool pocket is on the right.
My contact with Vanessa to leave feedback developed into a conversation and exchange of ideas. She’s going to to send me one of her new, experimental, products to try and criticise and she’s going to buy a copy of “Getting the Best from Your Bees”!