On a walk this morning with the U3A several people asked about honey, one of them returning me a couple of empty jars, telling me it had been the best he’d ever tasted and asking for more.
So this evening I went across to Sarah’s and, besides going through her hive and the mesh floored one, we opened my original TBH from the rear. The bees hadn’t read the book as the rear of the hive had comb criss crossed. I was aware of this and had come prepared and so was able to scoop out the combs, some of which might yield some for cut-comb, and drop them into plastic bags.
There was one comb that was as it should be, a U shape stretched along the bar which made it easier to drop into a bag and slice off. I left one full comb in case there’s a change in the weather and placed an empty bar between it and the brood to enable expansion.
When I got home I fetched the bathroom scales and weighed myself with and without the harvest from which I reckon it totals about 24lb. It’s parked in my conservatory which gets the morning sun so it should soften up well to enable me to extract the honey tomrrow, using my fruit press and strainer bags.